I did a 3 day detox!

Sunday, December 14, 2014 , 9 Comments

So, um, yeah, I did a three day detox/juice cleanse in October, and by now I thought about (finally) putting up a blogpost.

I am by no means an expert, and am just sharing MY experiences. I hope this will inspire you to start detoxing yourself.

Detoxing your body has a ton of benefits and is good for your mind, body and health. The main reason why I wanted to try out a detox was to get rid of all the toxins, but also to boost my immune system. And I think that worked fine!

I thought about buying detox cleanse juices, but that would've cost me a fortune. So I prepared by doing a lot of research on healthy detoxing (check my Pinterest board if you're interested!), wrote down some key ingredients, went to the market, got myself a sh*tload of fruit and veggies and borrowed my sisters' juicer. (You could also use a blender for these juices.)

After that, it was time to get started! Before starting the cleanse, you have to start flushing your body with fluids (two days prior to the start date of your detox). After your juice cleanse ends, you can't immediately hurry to the closest snack bar but make sure you start going back to eating 'normal' meals slowly. It's okay to have three meals a day, but try to stick to healthy food.
I want to share my juice plan (which I just made up as I got along), but please don't follow this as your plan. Everyone's different and needs adjusted meals. Listen to your body!

Wednesday:
» glass of half warm water with the juice of 1/2 lemon
» Breakfast juice: 1/2 cucumber, 1 apple, 1 cup of spinach, 1 kiwi
» Lunch juice: 1/2 cucumber, 1 cup of cranberries, 1 pear, 1 banana (don't put the banana in your juicer, but add it later and blend!)
» Snack juice (serves 2 people): 3 oranges, 2 apples, 1 pear, 1 kiwi
» Dinner juice: 1 stalk of celery, 2 carrots, 1/2 zucchini, 1 apple, juice of 1/2 lime
» Late night snack: 1 banana
» 2l water


Thursday:
» green tea with the juice of 1/2 lemon
» Breakfast: 1/2 cucumber, 1 stalk of celery, 1 apple, 1 cup of spinach, juice of 1/4 lime
» Lunch: 1/2 cucumber, 1 carrot, 1 pear, 1 kiwi, juice of 1/4 lime
» Dinner: 3 oranges, 1 pear, 1 banana, 1 kiwi, 2 apples
» Late night snack: 2 carrots + sleepy time tea
» 2l water


Friday:
» green tea with the juice of 1/2 lemon
» Breakfast: 1/2 cucumber, 2 cups of spinach, 1 apple, juice of 1/2 lime
» Lunch: 4 tomatoes, 1/2 cucumber, 1 stalk of celery
» Snack: 1 cup of grapes, 1 cup of cranberries, 3 oranges, 1 pear
» Dinner: 1 stalk of celery, 2 carrots, 1/2 zucchini, 1 apple, juice of 1/2 lime
» 2l water

The morning juices were awful (click to see what I looked like drinking the first one, haha!). The first two days I had a rough time drinking them, the flavour was just so unusual, nothing like I've ever drank before. I think it's because of the celery. I'm not a huge celery fan :) Apart from that, it wasn't that hard to persevere. Although I was feeling very hungry and sometimes even weak, and I encountered occasional headaches. I knew in advance this was possible. That's why I chose to do this detox during my vacation. I didn't have any big plans during those three days other than working from home, crafting and reading.

After the third day, I got up the next morning and was so happy I could finally EAT something again and nibble on some real food. At the same time I felt revitalized and so full of energy! (And in the next week, I noticed my skin getting a lot better. I had less breakouts and my skin looked a lot clearer! That must've been from all that water and all those vitamins getting in my belly :) )

This three day detox was definitely not that easy for me, but I'm going to make this a yearly habit.

Let me know what you think about juice cleanses. Are you a fan? Do you have any more suggestions or tips for me?

Talk to you soon!

Elisse

Twentysomething - journalist - crazy cat lady - creatieve duizendpoot - hart verloren in 't stad - fervent lezer