Q&A: Answers pt. 2

Today I'll answer the photography & sewing related questions I got asked a few weeks ago. :)

Photography

"When did you start to use your camera?"
It all started when I bought my Canon EOS 1000D in April 2010. My boyfriend had bought a semi-reflex camera a couple of months before and I was a bit jealous of his sharp pictures. So I bought my camera and immediately started experimenting and discovering.


"How did you learn to take good pictures?"
I guess you learn over time. I used to take my camera with me all the time to take pictures in different situations. Also: take photos on the manual stand of your camera, that way you'll figure out how your camera works a lot quicker. I also taught myself how to edit photos in Photoshop.
 "Which lenses do you use?"
I have three lenses. In the beginning I only had a kit lens (Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6), which works fine. A few months later I bought a zoom lens (Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS) - which I rarely use, although it's a nice lens-, and in February 2012 I bought the portrait lens I now use most of the time: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II)
"Do you have any photography tips?"
Yes, first of all: keep practicing! Also, if you come across nice photos on the internet, try to figure out what the set-up of the photo was like, what settings you should use on your camera, ... I learned a lot with Youtube videos and the help of Fotografille.

I also don't mind enhancing my photos a bit using Adobe Photoshop. If you don't own Photoshop, you can:
1. be a pirate and steal it
2. use Picmonkey, GIMP or Pixlr. Those are free online photo editor and will do the job just fine.



Sewing

"Where did you buy your sewing machine?"
Josefien was a gift from my parents. She's actually a Singer Magic, which is a very basic sewing machine model. And I would say it is an excellent starter's model. You have a few straight and zig-zag stitches and even a buttonhole function. My parents bought her online, but you can find these kind of cheap but decent sewing machines anywhere.
"How/where/from who did you learn how to sew?"
 In 2009 I took an evening course in sewing because a friend of mine took one a year before and I was jealous about all the pretty stuff she could make. In that course I learned the basics from professional sewers, and from that moment on I didn't stop learning and exploring the functions of my sewing machine. Since sewing is currently booming, I'm pretty sure there are tons of evening schools that offer sewing courses starting this September (or January). I followed the course for 1 year and then I continued on my own. Of course I get stuck sometimes, but I can always ask for help. My grandma's aunt was a professional sewer so my grandma knows a lot of stuff, but if she can't help me, I can always count on my colleagues of the sewing bee I attend every week. They litterally know everything.

Other than professional help, try to find out things on your own. The internet is full of tutorials & video guides!
"Where did you get your mannequin?"
Odette, my mannequin, was (also, I'm such a lucky girl!) a gift from my parents. She's adjustable, which is awesome! I don't know where she was bought, but I know they sell an adjustable mannequin in Veritas as well, and probably some other sewing shops.


hihi, my Photoshopskills weren't that good when I edited this photo, but at least you can see Odette here!

Hope this helped! Talk to you soon!

CONVERSATION

8 reacties:

  1. Leuk om te lezen! Ik lees altijd posts over fotografie maar ik bak er nog altijd niet veel van haha. Ik weet nog altijd niet hoe ik de achtergrond mooi kan laten blurren :p En zalig dat je een eigen stikmachine en paspop hebt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh een naaiclubke, lijkt me zo plezant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dorien: dat heeft te maken met je scherptediepte of diafragma, aangeduid op lenzen door de f.(en dan een getal erachter). Hoe lager het diafragma, hoe meer dingen in je foto onscherp zullen zijn (enkel hetgeen waarop je gefocust hebt staat scherp in beeld). Daarom kocht ik dus de portretlens, die tot f/1.8 gaat, omdat ik dat effect ook heel mooi vind van blurry achtergronden! (Ik hoop dat ik dat een beetje duidelijk heb uitgelegd)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super leuk om te lezen Elisse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dankuwel voor jij lieve comment!

    ik houd van hoe lief jij bent!

    and that was enough dutch! thanks for the answers! thanks for being a part of my blog (that doesn't even come close to yours) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echt een heel erg leuke post! :) Ik hou van de losse broeken die jullie aanhebben op de foto met de paspop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super leuke blog post, mag ik vragen hoeveel je bewerkt aan je foto's? en welke acties juist? vindt die altijd interessant om te weten..

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments make my day!

Back
to top